Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Tray Makeover

I am crushing on Chevron Patterns lately.


Here are some pictures of cool chevron patterns:
                                                                   source



                                                        
And here is a History Lesson because I am a teacher:

What is a Chevron?  Well, Wikipedia says this about it:

The chevron occurs in early art including designs on pottery and rock carvings. Examples can be found approximately 1800 BC in archaeological recovery of pottery designs from the palace of Knossos on Crete in the modern day country of Greece.[1]
Sparta (Lacedaemonia (Λακεδαιμωνία)) used a capital lambda (Λ) on their shields.


Anyway, I had to have me some chevron!

Salvation Army, here I come!  I found all sorts of great things today.  One was this UGLY tray.  Outdated, with a blurry image on it. Yuck.... but with potential!



Step 1: Paint it white.  (I love rustolleum paint for this type of project.) I used semi-gloss white.


Step 2: Painter's tape. 3M makes a painters tape with "edge-lock."  It is worth the little bit of extra money to get the edge lock if you are doing something with a visible pattern.  Regular painters tape works fine if you are painting and dont want to paint the base-boards. Use edge-lock if you need stripes.

I sort of did my own way of folding and cutting paper to make a template and placing painters tape around it.  But if you want a tutorial from  Sunset Magazine click here.  Here, you can download a template pdf file to do your own.



Step 3: Paint the chevron pattern.  I used a sample of paint that I had laying around.  It's Behr and the color is "Ashwood."






Now if someone could help me figure out which camera to buy so that I can have better images that are not grainy.  It's driving me crazy.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kristen - pretty cool! I will have to follow you again!

    ReplyDelete