Friday, October 14, 2011

River Rock Mat



What do you do when there is no mudroom?  Pile your shoes next to the entrance of course.  

I have seen this river rock runner at a cute store called "Chiasso" and it is next to panera, so I always walk past it.  The problem is that it is $68.  No thank you!  But if you want it for $68, it is available here.

So, of course, I decided to make my own.  First, I bought two "boot trays" at target for $4.99 each.


Then, I headed to Dollar Tree!  I love that place.  I picked up some river rocks.  They have several sizes of rocks, I used the smallest ones.  I found out that it takes 3 to 4 bags of rocks per tray- so I had to make a second trip to Dollar Tree in the middle of the project.



I had some Gorilla Glue on hand from a previous project.  It's great because it glues stone, and because it expands, which is great because stones are odly shaped.   But there are a few things to keep in mind.  It says right on the package to wear gloves or it will stain your skin.  So I thought, well, I just won't get any on my hands.  Yeah.... don't think that.  Get the gloves.  Also, use only a SMALL dot on the each stone.  It will expand, and does not dry clear.  Fortunately, it is not that noticeable because of all the colors in the stones, but any overflow glue will be a beige, bubbly blob that you can see.  Small amount of glue, on the flattest side of the stone, and drop into place. 

Start on the center of the mat and work your way out.  This is how much one bag of river rocks covers:

Keep going, and then you wil have this! ( I made 2.)  One boot tray holds 3 pairs of adult shoes.


This will be great in the winter too, because the stones will hold the shoes slighty off the ground, allowing the air to dry the unerside of the shoes as well.  And the stone mat has an easy clean-up, just rinse off.  Much easier than carpets that get stuck with kitty hair. 

Like my glitter shoes?  I DIY-ed those too, in a previous post. 

3 comments: